Thursday, June 27, 2013

My New Blue Door

My Girls have been at VBS all week and I've had a project of my own. Painting and Stickering the Front door.The color I went with was a color match to Martha Steward Living Azurite.

The sad part is that I bought a quart and probably could have gotten by on one sample, which is only like 3 dollars. I also found a DIY blog that did a Moroccan privacy screen with contact paper on Pinterest so I thought I would try it. Heres a link http://7thhouseontheleft.com/2011/08/window/#.UcxVg_m1EfU They also have a stencil pdf on that site that I used. http://7thhouseontheleft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/7hl_windowstencil.pdf The first day of VBS I did a lot of cutting.
Like two movies worth of cutting. Until I had about 72 patterns cut out
I tried it out on the door because I wanted to see what they looked like.
I don't know if you can tell but they had a lot of bubbles. So I decided to wait until my husband (Who does vinyl stickering at work) to come home to help me out. His suggestion was to use soap and water under it so that you can move it around and a vinyl squeegee thing to smooth it out.
WARNING DO NOT USE SOAP with CONTACT PAPER! It doesn't seem to work as well as with vinyl. It left soap drips
So if you decide to do it that way try with just water and let it dry for a couple hours and see if it drips. I do like the overall design with the stencil though. When I get the gumption again maybe I will start cutting.

Heres the stencil from inside the house, much more privacy.
Before:
After:

Our New front door

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! I like the design. I love projects like this. I hope that someday I'll have more time to do some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With a little creativity, you were able to give your front door an overall new look! You just didn't repaint your front door, but you even gave its glass a new look. This is one door project homeowners should consider doing.

    -Isaac Andre @ PatriotExteriorSolutions

    ReplyDelete