Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Gluten Free at Aldi (Live G Free)




 Last Weekend I was very excited to go to Aldi since I saw that they were going to have cheap Gluten free food. Yes! They have had gluten free brownies and Bisquick type mix for about a year.They are the Best brownies EVER!!! Before Aldi my old Favorite was Betty Crocker's Gluten Free.
 I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in my brownies. I always felt like they were making up for something by putting them in.
Live G Free Wins!


 They had also gotten the Mac and Cheese a month or so ago. I do like that too, it doesn't taste quite like Annies perhaps the cheese is a little more sugary more like Kraft I think but the price is unbeatable. I would probably buy Annies if they were the same price, but because live G free is much cheaper.
Live G Free Wins

We went to Aldi at 9:30 a little after it opened on Sunday. We were both so excited that, we were grabbing gluten free things willynilly.

The noodles were pretty good. When you go gluten free you either like corn noodles or rice noodles. My mom is a rice noodle person, I generally like corn better. I had found one that blends both at target... the Barilla brand. I find that I can't find a noticeable difference between the Aldi and Barilla brand even though the Aldi one is only corn. So because the Aldi brand is cheaper....
Live G Free Wins

Next the pizza, when I first opened the package I was disappointed. It was so small. smaller than udi's for sure. The whole pizza is able to fit inside my toaster oven. The pizza is edible but for the price is not really a savings. Udis tastes much better in my opinion.

Udi's Wins

The crackers are okay but they don't have the same crunch or taste as the Crunchmaster. The Live G Free taste a little bit more like plain flour. 
Crunchmaster Wins


We didn't have a staple cornbread that we used all the time. I was definitely in the market for some though, I'm used to the jiffy type cornbread (before gluten free) and I would have to say that the aldi one tasted more like sugar...Almost like a cake cornbread, It wasn't bad..definitely edible. The cookies were pretty delicious probably better than the homemade ones that I make with homemade flour. Definitely follow the directions on the box though, the ingredients have to be room temp which means you have to let the butter and egg sit out for a while.

I have to admit I didn't try the cake mix yet. Its going to be Kairi's birthday next week so I'm guessing that I will be trying it out then.

I think of all the products I saw on the ad I was most excited about the "stuffed sandwiches". I'm not sure if any other brand makes them but I haven't had one since I went gluten free.  It definitely had more bread than I remember stuffed sandwiches to have. I will definitely buy more if they continue to stock them because I love pizza. Convenience with gluten free is hard to find.

One day I had the girls try all three bars with me. Their favorite was the chocolate one. It sort of tastes like a brownie but a little more grainy, less oil. The bars were also smaller than i expected. The bottom two bars were pretty good too they were soft and also had a rice crisp mixed in. I don't normally eat bars like this but I think it would be good for kids who eat gluten free.

These cookies are probably supposed to be like the Enjoy life soft cookies,which i have not tried because I liked and got hooked on the crunchy Enjoy life cookies. All members of the family approved of these cookies. I especially liked the snicker doodle ones. I really hope they keep these cookies.

These were not my favorite. The pasta sauce was too watery. Don't make them in the oven, I made the mistake of making my first lasagna in the oven and it weirdly dried out the ricotta cheese so that it tasted like rubber. I then made it in the microwave and it was edible, but not my very favorite I definitely would like a less watery sauce.
All the granolas are good. I'm not a big granola eater but if I had to choose only one... I would put  I would put the cinnamon one on my yogurt. delicious.


I haven't really tried any other "gluten free flour" tortillas before this. I used the corn tortillas at aldi because they are cheap and they give you a billion. I made wrap with these and it was pretty good it didn't rip like a corn tortilla would.

I made the pizza from the box and it was way better than the pre-packaged version. I liked that it made the crust of 2 full sized 12 inch pizzas.  It definitely is a messy process to make them. Here is a picture of the leftover pieces from pizza night. It stuck together really nice, it wasn't limp bread pizza (I hate that).
The Gluten free pancakes came in individual packets of 3 mini frozen pancakes.


They were completely frozen together so the only way you can really make them is in the microwave. They tasted pretty good and if my kids went to regular school this would be an easy before school breakfast.  

All in All I was pretty impressed with the gluten free line at Aldi. There were only a handful of things I wouid not buy again. And many things like the Brownies and Stuffed Pockets I can't  live without.

1 comment:

  1. Great reviews! I'm visiting my family that lives 9 hours away from us and they have an Aldi's here. I'm going to stock up on some items before I head back home. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete